About Our Village
Wyanet's history dating back to 1821, was officially plated in 1854 and incorporated in 1857. The community has had several names since its beginning. In 1821 the settlement was first called "Center". Named by Bulbona an Indian trader. In 1837 the Village officially started to sprout its roots due to the area known as "Pond Creek". Named for the Creek at the South edge of town where Ellis Mercer built a saw mill and Amos Leonard built the first flour mill. The first railroad, the Chicago Rock Island & Pacific was built here in 1853. At this time the name was changed to "Kingston" in honor of the land donors Henry and Mary King. The Chicago, Burlington, Quincy Railroad gave the Village its current name, Wyanet, when they completed their rail line in 1855. Wyanet's history is full of exciting events. History buffs are encouraged to visit and learn more.
It is a community strongly supported by citizen involvement. It is a neighbor helping neighbor atmosphere. The local VFW holds a delicious chicken fry on the second Saturday of each month. (with the exceptions of July and December)
Each July, during its second weekend, our community comes together to celebrate the Wyanet Summer Festival. Festivities are sponsored by the Wyanet Community Club, begin Thursday, carry on through Saturday evening with beer gardens, a carnival and community food stands available daily, and are topped of with the Nancy Jo Olds-Bohm 5K Fun Run/Walk Saturday morning and our village parade that afternoon. It is truly the highlight of the year and fun for all ages!